Skip to main content

United close to signing Matic

Manchester United are close to signing Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic, according to Sky sources.

United hope to complete a deal for the 28-year-old in the coming days as Jose Mourinho continues his summer spending spree at Old Trafford.

Sky sources understand the United hierarchy have agreed a £40million fee for Matic, who made 40 appearances in all competitions last season.

Speaking after United's pre-season over Valerenga on Sunday , Mourinho said: "I'm waiting for news. I know that he wants that very, very much and when a player wants very, very much the chance is bigger, so I think we have a chance, but in football until it's official, I have so many things happen that I refuse to say more than I am telling you now."

Serie A champions Juventus have given up on their pursuit of Matic and have instead turned their attention to Paris Saint-Germain's Blaise Matuidi, as well as Sevilla midfielder Steven N'Zonzi, according to Sky Italia.

The 28-year-old has won two Premier League titles, one FA Cup and a League Cup at Stamford Bridge
Tiemoue Bakayoko's arrival at Stamford Bridge has paved the way for Matic to reunite with former Blues boss Mourinho.

It is understood Chelsea have allowed Matic to join United as a goodwill gesture because of his contribution to the club's two Premier League titles in the last three years.

Sky sources understand the Blues would have preferred to have sold Matic to Juventus rather than a domestic rival, but the Serbia international, who was given permission to not travel with the rest of the Chelsea squad on their pre-season tour of China, wants to move to United instead.

Matic is set to become the third new face at Old Trafford this summer following the arrival of Victor Lindelöf and Romelu Lukaku from Benfica and Everton respectively.

Sky Sports

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boko Haram’s campaign against education and enlightenment - By Landry Signe

Nelson Mandela once said, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Boko Haram, the Islamist terrorist group originating from Nigeria is frightened by this enlightening power of education. Unsurprisingly, on Monday, February 19, the group, whose name often translates to “Western education is a sin,” stormed a girls’ school in the village of Dapchi in northern Nigeria to abduct students. Of the 907 schoolgirls who were in the school the day of the attack, more than 100 are still missing as of Sunday. Since it became violent about a decade ago, Boko Haram’s actions, through these and other types of bloody attacks, have resulted in horrifying consequences. Human Rights Watch estimates that Boko Haram has left at least 7 million in need of humanitarian assistance, 2.1 million displaced, and 20,000 civilians dead. Local leaders claim the number is significantly higher. Despite such causalities, it took Boko Haram’s massive kidnapping of 276 sch...

The story of how Nigeria’s census figures became weaponized - Feyi Fawehinmi

By Feyi Fawehinmi The story of Nigeria’s 1962 census never gets old. Southern politicians seeking to end the north’s dominance of Nigerian politics decided that the only way to do it was through the census. Population figures at the time determined not only parliamentary representation but also revenue allocation and employee distribution in the civil service. In May 1962, the first census under an independent Nigerian government began. There had been a frenzy of mobilization by politicians in the south of the country using pamphlets, radio, schools, churches and mosques. Although the final results were not made public, the preliminary results were quite clear as to what had happened: the north’s population had gone up from 16.5 million in the last census in 1952 to 22.5 million, an increase of 30%. But in some parts of the east, the population had increased by up to 200% and more than 70% in general. The west also reported an increase of 70%. What the preliminary results showed...

A ‘debt trap’ awaiting aspiring governors? - Anthony Osae-Brown

In the early pages (11 and 12) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) economic report for the fourth quarter of 2017, there is information hidden between the technical language that may have significant implication for ‘wanna be state governors’ in the country. It is the fact that the current governors are piling up debt that the incoming governors would have to deal with in 2019 when they assume the title of ‘His Excellency.’ For those without a strategy to deal with this, that could signal the beginning of their troubles in that exalted office. The CBN fourth quarter report shows that while the federal government is cutting down its exposure in the domestic debt markets, state governments are fast filling up the space with new debt. The report notes that banking systems credit to the federal government at the end of the fourth quarter of 2017 went down 28 percent compared to corresponding period of 2016, when the federal government exposure to the banking sector was up 38.7 percent...