Skip to main content

End Of Era: Del Bosque officially leaves as Spain coach after Euro 2016 exit


Spain officially parted ways with veteran coach Vicente del Bosque on Monday, one week after La Roja lost to Italy in the round-of-16 at Euro 2016.
Del Bosque, 65, guided Spain to wins at the World Cup in 2010 and Euro 2012, but also oversaw their shock group-stage exit at the World Cup in Brazil in 2014.
The Spanish football federation (RFEF) on Monday published an official statement thanking Del Bosque for his eight years with the team.
He took over the role following Spain’s European Championship win in 2008 under his predecessor, Luis Aragones.
On Monday the RFEF issued a statement saying that Del Bosque will accept a role within the federation.
“[Spanish federation president] Angel Maria Villar considers Vicente del Bosque to be ‘part of Spanish football patrimony’ and has offered him a chance to continue with the federation. He has accepted and details of the offer will be solidified over the next few weeks.”
That statement comes after Del Bosque had confirmed last week that he would be leaving at the end of his contract and would not accept any role with the federation.

“Without a doubt, I have no intention to remain as coach, but you have to be discreet. No matter what the result of the Euros, I had no doubt about what my future would be,” he told Spanish public radio RNE last week.
“I will continue until July 31. And the president, when he thinks it’s opportune, will make it happen. They haven’t asked me for substitutes. I will do what the federation tells me. There are many qualified people.”
Spain will now turn their focus to qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia from a group that also includes Italy. The first qualifying game will be in September.
Former Granada coach Joaquin Caparros, former Spain under-21 boss Julen Lopetegui and ex-La Roja coach Jose Antonio Camacho have all been tipped to succeed him.
Caparros is reported to be Villar’s preferred candidate and a new coach is expected to be named on July 19.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FG borrows N3.38bn To Aid Potato Production in Plateau

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) wednesday approved N3.38 billion to boost the production of potatoes in Plateau State. The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, who made the disclosure said the money would be borrowed from Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) with one per cent interest rate and 25 years moratorium. The minister who said the loan was not fresh, explained that it had previously been cancelled by the federal government with the intention to make a fresh request for the loan on behalf of Plateau State which she said was responsible for 95 per cent of potato production in the country. According to her, following ADB’s comprehensive programme on potato production in Plateau State, 100,000 families and 17 local government areas of Plateau State would benefit from the loan while 60,000 jobs would be created by the initiative. “My approval was on behalf of Plateau State to support the potato value chain. There is a loan that we had previously cancelled from ...

Much ado about the foreign reserves - Nonso Obikili

I have received a lot of questions about the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) foreign reserves recently. The CBN has of course been touting the reserves growing from a low of about $24bn to the approximately $42bn it is now. The questions typically centre around why we are keeping so much in reserve when the economy is struggling, and we have poor infrastructure? Why don’t we use the reserves to reduce the poverty that is rampant? The question typically betrays a little bit of misunderstanding over what the foreign reserves are and how the entire thing works. Hopefully, after reading this we will have a better understanding of what it is and what it can and can’t be used for. First, what is the “Foreign Reserves?” It is the amount of foreign exchange that the central bank has at its disposal at any point in time. Some of this is in cash and some in other liquid assets, that is assets that can quickly be turned to cash. Some of this is in US dollars but sometimes it’s in other c...

The story of how Nigeria’s census figures became weaponized - Feyi Fawehinmi

By Feyi Fawehinmi The story of Nigeria’s 1962 census never gets old. Southern politicians seeking to end the north’s dominance of Nigerian politics decided that the only way to do it was through the census. Population figures at the time determined not only parliamentary representation but also revenue allocation and employee distribution in the civil service. In May 1962, the first census under an independent Nigerian government began. There had been a frenzy of mobilization by politicians in the south of the country using pamphlets, radio, schools, churches and mosques. Although the final results were not made public, the preliminary results were quite clear as to what had happened: the north’s population had gone up from 16.5 million in the last census in 1952 to 22.5 million, an increase of 30%. But in some parts of the east, the population had increased by up to 200% and more than 70% in general. The west also reported an increase of 70%. What the preliminary results showed...